Story Idea List

In the last post I mentioned the importance of making lists of story ideas as a sign of respect for your muse. I mentioned that a few words will do. As I looked at my current list of blog ideas, I decided to share it to give you an idea of how these lists can work. Take a look:
  • Death Comes to the Archbishop, Willa Cather — well-turned phrases
  • Grandkids, Camp RYLA. perception —> memory
  • Power of “when” Zippy. Repetition/attribution
  • Awkward sentence examples
  • “I'd know who wrote it ...”
  • Powerful stories take courage to tell — Jane’s grandson
  • Share blog item list
  • Respect — for self and others. How learned?
  • Curly quotes and stuff like that
  • Story organization — build on bones
  • How readers think
The order of items is random. As you can see, I’m writing about a random item first. On any given day, I may write something from this list, or I may be inspired to write something else before I get to any or all of these items. In fact, I may never get to some of them at all. The important thing is, they are written down. Should the day come that I am due to write a blog post and Sarabelle is silent, my list will instantly pop a topic into focus.

You may also notice the informality. I use lots of dashes. Sometimes I underline. I generally stick to key words, but there is an index card attached to this list with a whole paragraph on it.

I assembled this list from a stack of index cards and paper scraps. I added the new ideas to the list I keep on the computer, because scraps of paper have a way of disappearing when I need them. I also have a list of personal story ideas, article ideas (in case I ever figure out where to submit one for publication), and quite a few half-finished stories, waiting for inspiration or the time to polish them up.

In spite of all this organization (I do take my own advice in this respect), I
m likely to write about something Ive recently heard or thought about when I sit down to blog. Thats okay ... the list is a safety net, not a mandate. That being said, if there is a particular item youd like to see a post about, please mention that in a comment. I love reader requests!

Caveat: If you make a list of story ideas, you give up the comfort of knowing you can procrastinate about writing by not having a story in mind, and you give up many rights to experience Writer
s Block.

Write on,

Sharon Lippincott, aka Ritergal

Countdown: 58 days until the release of The Heart and Craft of Lifestory Writing on July 1. Stay tuned for ordering details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview: Kathleen Pooler

Hang onto Inspiration

Interview with Sue Mitchell, “The Memoir Muse”